Sausage cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I’ll explain.
I once saw a documentary about deli’s and street food in New York. One section of the film focused on the tepid water that street corner hot dog vendors kept their frankfurters in, and how this water was not close to being hot enough to ward off bacteria, and sometimes not changed out very regularly, so it was quite putrid really.
It’s a scene that always replays in my mind whenever I see or discuss sausages cooked in water. This is probably just a silly nonsense of mine, but there you go. 🫠

When I read all these great tips on boiling the sausage first, I just can’t get the image of that filthy water that vendors in the USA have going on. LOL 🤣🫠
1694236102304.jpeg

@Aunt Bea - very much this in a nutshell!
I apologise if I have offended anyone about this, but it is really just my perception from a land far away from this sort of vendor cart.
Our health authorities would shut down any hot dog cart, quick smart.
Our food trucks are constantly being tested and frankly , harassed over hygiene and food at local fairs are ruthlessly scrutinised. It’s probably not a bad thing, but it’s a bit confronting when I see these docos examining the food safety of street corner food in America.

All that being said, I know that Asian street food is probably not even remotely regulated! And I’m a fan. 🫠

@Aunt Bea - very much this in a nutshell!
I apologise if I have offended anyone about this, but it is really just my perception from a land far away from this sort of vendor cart.
Our health authorities would shut down any hot dog cart, quick smart.
Our food trucks are constantly being tested and frankly , harassed over hygiene and food at local fairs are ruthlessly scrutinised. It’s probably not a bad thing, but it’s a bit confronting when I see these docos examining the food safety of street corner food in America.

All that being said, I know that Asian street food is probably not even remotely regulated! And I’m a fan. 🫠
No offense taken, there are scoundrels in every business.

Years ago when I lived in Pennsylvania the scruffy soft pretzel vendors came under scrutiny for unsanitary conditions.

1694242324581.gif

When I read all these great tips on boiling the sausage first, I just can’t get the image of that filthy water that vendors in the USA have going on. LOL 🤣🫠
What are you talking about? We have extremely strict food handling regulations in the US - and frequent surprise government inspections at any facility that handles food. The US has one of the safest food supplies in the world. (no one jump on me - I said "one of".)

Silversage, I've seen documentaries that leave images in my brain - even though the circumstances have long since changed - I still associate with them.
There's a reason Aunt Bea was able to find that cartoon. Leaves an image in my mind too.
Can't help it, even if it doesn't happen anymore - image is there.

When I moved to Denmark as a very young adult, I noticed something. The US airs its dirty laundry. The rest of the world seems to notice the problems being aired and often solved, in the US. But, the airing of dirty laundry, e.g., documentaries about problems, seems to happen to a lesser degree outside the US. I think airing of these kinds of issues leads to faster fixing of the issues.

Street vendors can be a problem in any country. It can be very difficult to maintain cleanliness, proper temperatures, proper handling, etc, when you are outside on a dirty city sidewalk with traffic on the street. It is also difficult to regulate. But as a rule, ours are regulated and are better than street vendors in most countries.

Street vendors can be a problem in any country. It can be very difficult to maintain cleanliness, proper temperatures, proper handling, etc, when you are outside on a dirty city sidewalk with traffic on the street. It is also difficult to regulate. But as a rule, ours are regulated and are better than street vendors in most countries.
Right. And conditions in NYC are vastly different from most other places in the United States, so generalizing that the entire country is like one city is way off base.

Also, the definition of "documentary" has changed a lot in the past 20 years or so. Most of them now are not remotely scientific or unbiased and often have a not-so-subtle political agenda.

I have never had a sausage burst while I was gently poaching it in water. I don't prick them for gentle poaching. I think the key is to use gentle heat.
yes, pricking the sausage releases the moisture inside the sausage resulting in a drier end product

Silversage, I've seen documentaries that leave images in my brain - even though the circumstances have long since changed - I still associate with them.
There's a reason Aunt Bea was able to find that cartoon. Leaves an image in my mind too.
Can't help it, even if it doesn't happen anymore - image is there.
That's their intention. They deliberately appeal to the emotions in order to elicit a specific response and the emotional component creates a powerful association, so you remember that and not necessarily the facts. If they even included true facts.

That's their intention. They deliberately appeal to the emotions in order to elicit a specific response and the emotional component creates a powerful association, so you remember that and not necessarily the facts. If they even included true facts.
I believe another phrase coined for that is "Shock Media" - exploitation with deliberate intention to shock, upset...

Sausage is made for sous vide imo. Anyway, alternatively and depending on the girth, I sautee until nicely colored and pop in the oven to finish and around the 140-150 is good enough for me.
Welcome to DC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom