What's your weather right now? 2021

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess - Don't forget the life saving candle and matches along with your flashlight, blanket, water and chocolate bar - please note - chocolate bar to be eaten in emergencies ONLY.

take care

Ditto.

As I was reading the weather warning's instructions on what to pack into an emergency kit, my brain was saying "What about the candles and a way to light them?" Maybe that's a Canadian thing.

I think where Princess lives probably has more severe weather than where we are situated - the Rockies being an exception.

I doubt it is just a Canadian thing.

Ditto.

As I was reading the weather warning's instructions on what to pack into an emergency kit, my brain was saying "What about the candles and a way to light them?" Maybe that's a Canadian thing.
I think where Princess lives probably has more severe weather than where we are situated - the Rockies being an exception.

I doubt it is just a Canadian thing.
It's not just a mountain thing, either. We brought candles and matches - in a plastic bag, to keep dry - and a large coffee can on a car trip once. We ended up spending the night in the car. Burning the candle in the coffee can causes the heat to radiate out into the car. It made a big difference.

Guess I should not have included the "mountain thing". Just meant that other places than Canada have severe weather and survival awareness' probably are pretty much the same.

Guess I should not have included the "mountain thing". Just meant that other places than Canada have severe weather and survival awareness' probably are pretty much the same.

Of course loads of places have weather as bad and worse than here in southern Quebec and southern Ontario. I just don't remember seeing anyone but Canadians mentioning the candle and matches. Just about every single time I read or hear about winter survival preparedness in Canada, the candles are mentioned. That's why I was wondering.

It took me 3 hours to get home from work this morning; a trip that is usually just under an hour.
A combination of a light freezing rain and the ground already being just under 32° caused all of the roads to turn into sheets of ice. Even the treated roads were bad. Accidents everywhere.

The police were shutting down highways all over because of so many small pile-ups. I took backroads for about 2/3rds of the trip.

I was crawling at about 3 miles an hour over a small hill because of the ice when a big pickup started tailgating me. I tried to pull over to let them pass, but I really ended up sliding over until my car stopped by hitting the curb.

The truck went past, and slid down the hill into 4 other cars that had already crashed into each other at the bottom.
I always think of what my dad said about 4 wheel drive vehicles. That they can go in bad conditions because of the 4 wheel drive, but ALL vehicles are 4 wheel stop, and you can't over-estimate your inertia.

I hope the roads are better for my commute tonight. That was exhausting.

Last edited:
Survival Pack:
2 wool blankets
1 pr each: flannel lined pants, snow boots, extra prescription glasses
4 pr merino wool socks
t-shirts
flannel shirts
gloves
hats
scarves
above are packed in a 5 gallon lidded bucket
next bucket:
matches, lighters
road flares
candles
tinder
waxed lint
small camp stove and several empty cans stacked into a coffee can
eating, cooking and opening utensils
3 or 4 different size flashlights
sterno - 8
Food Bucket:
COFFEE
Chocolate
chili
soup
crackers
canned corned beef
bisquick
sardines
powdered eggs and butter
canned brown bread
S&P, Sugar, Creamer
various items:
pocket fisherman
hunting and pocket knives
multi tool
wire saw
hand crank radio and lantern
stainless steel bucket
folding shovel
4 duralogs

Then I have a go bag with three days worth of prescription and OTC meds
toilet paper, kleenex, bar soap, more matches and lighters

I think that's it...been a Wyoming girl for a long time.

bucky, I hear your pain. Thankfully it has been a long time since I've had to drive under those conditions. Luckily, when they now occur I can say "Nope, ain't goin' nowhere! Too bad, so sad, just do without."

Thanks, dragn. The last time I saw this was about 35 years ago. Same area, same weird convergence of weather variables.

I lived a lot closer to the city back then, on a hill just off a highway over the George Washinton Bridge.

Back then, I just parked my car on a side street and walked/slid home the rest of the way, maybe a couple of miles. The last 1/4 mile was like ice climbing, digging toes into front lawns, not on hard surfaces.

currently -7°C (19°F). Feels like 7°F - although I´ve got no intention of going out there to find out. Light snow today. Going down to -12°C (10°F) by tomorrow morning. Yuk!

At least 6" on the ground and still coming down.

1.7.2022.JPG

Actually I should expect more hazardous conditions where I am now. Waterdown is between Hamilton (snow belt) and Toronto (rain and fog). So although I don't have to go out in the car unless by choice - the poor dog is wanting to get out so... I guess I have to still find my shoe cleats.. :(

Temperatures have been hovering just above and below the freezing point, yech! Either be warm (above!) or be cold (below) but don't bounce between the two!

A little more snow than last time - between 3 and 4 inches. But this time it's fluffy, and easy to clean from the car, and I think a lot melted this time from the walks due to the previous salting. And the sun is out, now that the snow is out of here. And above freezing already - 34° at 10 am. The bad thing is the wind - up to 35 mph gusts, while I was out there.

The snowstorm is over. We got about 5". Now we move or cars and wait for the contractors to clear our parking spaces, sidewalks and steps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom